The next learning summit is only a few days away and we already have close to 1000 Power BI users registered for the event.
There is going to be a significant amount to learn about high-quality Power BI development so if you haven’t had a chance to register so far then you still can below
Please note, all the resources and replays from the event will be made available to everyone who registers. These will only be made available before, during and for a few days after the event before they get moved to a members-only section at Enterprise DNA Online.
Ok, so here’s the summary of what I’ll be covering during the live training workshops.
Session 1 – DAX Basics & CALCULATE
During the very first session of the event, I’ll be completing a quick intro and then run through the data and resources we’ll be using. The main part of the session will be about covering key beginner to intermediate concepts around DAX functions.
DAX is crucial to really mastering Power BI and creating compelling analysis, so will look to review what I believe to be essentials for those just starting out with Power BI.
- Intro to key DAX functions
- Deep dive into CALCULATE
- Time Intelligence formulas
- Cumulative totals
- Unique ranking technique using TOPN
Session 2 – Parameter Tables
In the second live session we’ll be covering parameter tables and how you can use them in Power BI
I will be running through a real-world discounting scenario where using parameter tables is essential. The largest takeaway from this session is how to think about the variables that you can include in your data and how far you can take your analysis.
Sometimes it’s difficult to know where to start with this type of work but I plan to go through my thought process here and hopefully many of these tips can move into your own development processes over time.
- Creating and using parameter tables
- How to plan for implementation
- Real-world discounting scenarios
- Extending calculations w/measure branching
- Showcasing the key insights
Session 3 – Cluster & Groups Analysis
In this session we’ll be covering a grouping technique that allows you to review clusters of your data points.
This is a very powerful analysis technique in Power BI that is incredibly flexible. You can use it in nearly any analytical scenario that you come across.
I can’t wait to show you grouping technique which will have a lot of real-world application for anyone who’s looking to complete this type of analysis with Power BI.
- Creating dynamic group insights
- Editing visual interactions smartly
- Extending supporting tables in models
- Grouping formula patterns
- Highlight important clusters of information
Session 4 – Logistics Management
In this session, I will be covering a topic I’ve haven’t reviewed too often before around analyzing events through time.
We’ll be running through a common problem developers have when working with Power BI. That is, dealing with multiple dates and creating compelling analysis around them.
- Events in progress pattern
- Managing multiple dates in fact tables
- Unique data model techniques
- Branching out into complex logic
- Advanced DAX function insights
Session 5 – Ranking Techniques
In the 5th session, we’ll be covering a variety of ranking techniques that can be used in many different environments and data scenarios.
Formulas such as RANKX and TOPN are some of the harder to learn and understand in Power BI, so I plan to complete a deep dive into them and really show you how they work.
- Covering nuances of RANKX function
- Diving into key topic of ‘context’
- Extending ranking insights further
- Reviewing TOPN and how it works
- Isolate top or bottom sales
Session 6 – New Power BI Online Experience
During the final session, we’ll be running through some of the many great changes to the Power BI online service.
There has been so many, and they have all be huge updates. I look forward to showing and telling you what I think about them!
- Reviewing new features in online service
- New home page experience
- Managing apps, workspaces & reports
- Distributing your insights effectively
- Updated best practices for management
This will be it. 6 detailed workshops on a range of Power BI topics.
Anyone using Power BI will benefit immensely from these training sessions so I hope you can come along and learn how I work in Power BI on a daily basis.
If you haven’t had a chance to register you still can here
If you have any questions around the summit certainly get in touch.